This Valentine's Day we are gonna spread the tradition of sending love to people inside. Prisoner support and advocacy organizations have had similar events in the past and in 2012 we want to open up the opportunity for people around the country to send love to folks locked up. We want them to feel the love of the community and know that they are not forgotten.
Host a party!
No parties scheduled in your city? Host your own! Here's how we can help:
- We'll send you a list of names and addresses of people inside. You can choose to send Valentine's Day cards to a group of prisoners that is most relevant to you, whether that's political prisoners, women inside, trans and queer prisoners, people incarcerated within your particular state, or anyone else who is locked up in and in need of some love from the outside. Tell us how many people you can commit to sending cards to and we'll send you a list.
- If you want to make your party open to other folks in your area you can send us the date, time, and location and we'll help you publicize it on blackandpink.org and in email announcements sent out to folks around the country.
- Send you a list of restrictions on what can and cannot be sent inside. Not Allowed: glitter, glue, staples, tape, (anything with adhesive), polaroids. Allowed: construction paper, printer paper
What do you need to do?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
and let us know what you're planning
- Gather card-making supplies
- Gather your friends/people in your community
- Cover the cost of mailing the cards
- Mail cards by February 9th to make sure they arrive in time for Valentine's Day